Tis the season to be jolly! Jolly crazy that is, when it comes to all the tasks before us, especially women as we approach the holidays. In this article, you will be encouraged to go through the holidays more mindfully and with less stress so that your experience is one of greater peace and joy. Isn’t that the true meaning of these holidays – Giving Thanks & Peace on Earth?
So how is it that women find themselves anything but peaceful during the holidays? We are normally busy doing for others, right? Well, it’s just that we find that during the next few months, it will be “Doing-for-others on steroids”. Yes, it’s shop ’til you drop, but we’re not talking about fun outings to buy new clothes. We’re talking about major grocery shopping, and gift buying galore for family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and even our cherished service providers (don’t forget the dog walker!)
If this is the year you’ve decided to trim back and not buy so many gifts, you’ll still find yourself writing cards or baking something nice for many of the people you love. Which brings up all the other extra activities that women DO during the holidays – travel arrangements, preparing the house for guests, meal planning, cooking, baking, etc. Oh and did I mention decorating? Pull out all the boxes from the attic or garage or basement, select, and place. And then there’s the tree…….( Don’t forget taking it all down and putting it away, too. )
Well, you know we do all this because we enjoy it. That is true. We love creating warm and loving environments for our families and friends. And we love the parties and gift giving. It’s all good, right?
Or is it? How about some tips from a Life Coach for Women on how to keep it from being ‘all stress’.
1) TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF EVERY DAY. This is not the time to stop your exercise routine. And it’s certainly not the time to slack off on your meditation.
2) SLOW DOWN! Even if it’s just a tiny bit. Practice mindfulness, living in the moment, by slowing down as you do each holiday task. Focus and stay in the moment of what you are doing, not jumping ahead to the list of all the things you must do next. This way, you will really reap all the benefit of enjoying the season.
3) REMIND YOURSELF EACH DAY OF WHY you are doing the preparations and shopping, etc. If you are not doing these things out of love and joy, then stop. Maybe there are some things you could let go of, or replace with things you WANT to do from love.
4) LET GO OF PERFECTION. There is no such thing. Need I say more?
5) LIGHTEN UP AND LAUGH OFTEN. If you can, make it a practice to laugh several times each hour. Even if you are laughing at how silly it is to try to laugh every hour. This is a life coach for women mindfulness practice you won’t want to quit.
Blessings for a peaceful holiday!